Re: The IETF and the SmartGrid

2009-10-12 20:19:26
Is there any planned ad-hoc meeting/session related to this topic in
Hiroshima meeting?

Peny

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
Thanks. You already know this, as does Russ Housley, but I'll say it out
loud for others to hear.

At the third NIST workshop on the Smart Grid, which was the week following
the IETF meeting, several IETFers were invited by David Su of NIST to a
workshop on the role of the Internet Architecture in the Smart Grid. He
specifically asked for a document that could be used to discuss and describe
the Internet Architecture, specifically to support the "profiling" (eg,
subseting) of its architecture for the purpose. To that end, I started

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-baker-ietf-core
 "Core Protocols in the Internet Protocol Suite", Fred Baker, 3-Oct-09,
 <draft-baker-ietf-core-03.txt>

The initial document essentially described the protocols appropriate to a
host; at the request and behest of several commentators, I have since added
a brief description of unicast and multicast routing, QoS, address
allocation and assignment (DHCP and ND), NTP, DNSSEC, SIP, the ISO Transport
Service Interfaces (necessary for ACSE, which is used in the Smart Grid) and
something of the business architecture of the Internet and therefore
firewalls, NATs, and VPNs. I have in the can a version that puts in
references for MPLS, and given that NIST is asking about calendaring and
SNMP will likely include a few sentences on those.

I'm trying to walk what is at best a grey line; The things that are at the
Internet Architecture's absolute core, at least to my mind, are described in
RFCs 1122, 1123, and 1812. However, NIST is asking about the place of more
things (like calendaring and timekeeping) and other possible users of the
document are also asking for things that are more core to the business than
the architecture, like NATs and MPLS. So I am trying to describe things that
are core, and also answer useful questions about less-core things, all
without trying to provide a list of all 1574 proposed standards, 89 draft
standards, and 82 standards.

Individuals who have noticed the draft have commented; folks who care should
also do so. I have asked the IESG for directorate reviews, but have not
gotten anything from any directorates.

As you say, NIST is requesting commentary on
http://www.nist.gov/public_affairs/releases/smartgrid_interoperability.pdf.
Those of us that work for US corporations or educational institutions would
likely be wise to be involved in corporate reviews and replies, as that is
how most review of this type comes back. The exact structure to reply in has
not yet been announced, but I would imagine that will be remedied soon.