Re: The IETF and the SmartGrid

2009-10-13 09:05:12
Hi,

--On October 12, 2009 9:04:28 PM -0700 Fred Baker <fred(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Is there any planned ad-hoc meeting/session related to this topic in
Hiroshima meeting?

Well, ROLL and 6lowpan are relevant.

http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki and specifically
http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/BifIETF76  has a BOF called
6lowapp that is likely equally relevant, which is to say not designed
specifically for the smart grid but potentially usable there. At this
point, I'm not sure that the IETF has decided that the Smart Grid needs
anything we haven't already given it in the Internet Architecture. It
might, but I for one don't know yet what it would be. Perhaps a "reliable
multicast" transport, perhaps a "route me differently" flag in IPv6
(which multipath TCP could also use), perhaps permission to send from a
multicast group address, perhaps something else. At this point I don't
think we honestly know what would help them.

Looks like we may have a bar BOF.

As a side comment, please note that the Calendaring and Scheduling Consortium (CalConnect) is also working with the SmartGrid folks on a calendaring standard for their needs. In particular CalConnect is promoting the use of iCalendar (RFC5545) via an XML representation (<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daboo-et-al-icalendar-in-xml-00>).

I would encourage all IETF participants from all areas to look at the SmartGrid work and see if other IETF technologies may be a good fit for the work they are proposing. Let's not have them re-invent the wheel.

--
Cyrus Daboo