Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-10 19:57:45

You said:

"(Let me apologize to the non-US people in the IETF for the US-centric
nature of this part of this post. It's necessarily US-centric because
the example cited in the message I'm replying to was US-centric.

FWIW, I'm not a US citizen - I'm acturally Bermudian - so I am
personally quite sensitive to the need to understand that the rest of
the world is not a clone of the US.)"

Noel,

Since I am also not a US citizen, let me ask you a related question.
Objectionable hotel clauses notwithstanding, some folks have argued
that we should basically boycott China and not hold a meeting there
for reasons ranging from Internet policies to Human Rights. Given the
large and increasing number of Chinese engineers that participate in
the IETF, what sort of message would we be sending by taking that kind
of position?

Are we a US-centric organization?

(That question is not just for you of course).

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj