Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-11 15:34:51
Dave CROCKER wrote:
I believe that the IETF has not previously challenged a venue on the
basis of political or social concerns.  We've sometimes challenged it
for matters of logistics and cost, but not social policy.

On the one hand I agree with you that determining where the IETF
should or should not meet on the basis of the "social policy" in the
host country/state/region/etc. is a very dangerous, and slippery slope.

On the other hand the question of whether the number of people who
would not attend the meeting because of concerns such as social
policy, censorship, unfortunate contractual terms, prevalence of
smoking, etc. would prevent the meeting from being successful IS a
logistical concern.

Of course, keeping those two issues separate is a Solomonic task.

Doug