Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-11 07:03:41
Hi Ole,
At 16:56 10-10-2009, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Since I am also not a US citizen, let me ask you a related question.
Objectionable hotel clauses notwithstanding, some folks have argued
that we should basically boycott China and not hold a meeting there
for reasons ranging from Internet policies to Human Rights. Given the
large and increasing number of Chinese engineers that participate in
the IETF, what sort of message would we be sending by taking that kind
of position?

Are we a US-centric organization?

This discussion has been mild by IETF standards. There hasn't been that many messages posted by people from the People's Republic of China. I'll quote part of a reply:

  "do you think that Chinese government will allow the chinese participants
   to join the IETF meeting which often has the violation of Chinese law?"

and a comment from a message posted last year:

  "Is USA qualified [as IETF Meeting Venue]?"

Some people may have strong views about the People's Republic of China. The "free speech" afforded to people to air such views is not guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States. It is a tacit guarantee provided by the IETF as it has always been part of its culture not to restrict the field of discourse.

If the choice of meeting venue is about sending a message, the IETF should learn about Panda politics. I don't know whether the IETF can win that or whether the IETF is actually being used as the panda. I believe that if the IETF gets into that, it is opening the door for problems in the long term beyond the choice of hosting a meeting in the People's Republic of China.

For those arguing about legality, I'll mention that there are United States sanctions that prohibit citizens of the United States from doing business with entities identified by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (United States). The person may be in violation of the sanctions by purchasing services or equipment from a telecommunications company (not in the People's Republic of China or any country on a "watch list"). I doubt that most people are aware that the company is "listed".

The IETF had a strong bias towards the United States. That has changed over time as there are more participants from Europe. It will likely change more as it moves towards the East. The move can be viewed in terms of participation and not in terms of meeting venue selection.