Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-11 13:42:08
Mike,

Then I am afraid you really misread my comments. There are indeed
folks who are suggesting that China should be avoided for political
reasons (see the list for examples, I see no need to repeat it here),
and I would characterize that as a boycott.

This is completely separate from the discussion about the hotel
contract and legal provisions, unless that was unclear.

In other words, we may decide that we cannot hold a normal meeting in
China due to laws or contract language or any other "normal criteria
for meetings", but I am a lot less certain about what political
criteria we could agree on for avoiding any country. I am not saying
we can't have that discussion, but I am saying that it becomes a lot
less clear who "we" are given the large and growing number of
participants from the country in question.

I have been largely speaking for myself. The original statement from
Marshall does have phrases like "the IAOC believes..." but as I
explained previously, no final decision has been made, and whatever
snapshot of opinion was taken 3 weeks ago isn't necessarily accurate
today. I do take your point. Consider everything I've said so far as
my personal opinion, based on what I know and my experience in
attending meetings in China.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj