Re: 答复: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for communityguidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-12 17:48:50
You said:

"In the US and much of Europe, for example, discussions of techniques
 for avoiding firewalls or anonymizing traffic are largely considered
 technical, not political. (Although people might have political
 reasons for discussing these topics.)

 The concern is that in the Chinese context, the sets of technical and
 political topics could be closer, if not overlapping -- that some
 technical topics might not be overtly political, but might be close
 enough to cause trouble."

This is only my PERSONAL opinion and does not constitute legal or
international advice etc, but:

Discussion of the topics you cite in your example would be perfectly
fine and not cause any "trouble". As I've said previously, our
proposed hosts are long-standing contributors and members of the IETF
community. They know "our ways" and if they seriously believed that
we'd be walking into a danger zone by having normal IETF topics on the
agenda they would not have invited us.

In due course, the IAOC will be making a statement on our decisions
about this meeting. As Ray said, this is expected to occur before
IETF 76. Until then, I am going to try to limit posting on this topic
since I'm already ranking too high on the Narten score :-)

Feel free to ask me about IETF 76 logistics, particularly on the
76attendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org list.

Cheers,

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj