Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-09 16:45:08
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Theodore Tso wrote:

I don't think anyone is actually saying this.  What folks are in
fact saying is that out of _respect_ of Chinese local law, which
apparently makes illegal many things which normally would be
discussed at IETF metings, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to hold
an IETF meeting in China.

I don't think that it is "apparent" that "many things which would
normally be discussed at IETF meetings" would be illegal to discuss
in China, but, yes, that is the core of the argument here.

The counterargument seems to be, naaah, don't worry, even though
there is a contract that says these sorts of things aren't allowed,
and if they happen a hotel employee can shut down the entire meeting
--- they won't be enforced and don't worry your pretty little heads
about such things.

The counterargument is a little more complex than that, but it's
fairly obvious that having a hotel employee determine what can and
cannot be said is not an acceptable solution, so that's being
worked on.

So if China wants to make various things illegal to discuss, that's
fine.  We should respect that.  It doesn't mean that we should hold an
IETF meeting there, though.

Right, but the crucial word in your statement is "if" and whether
"various things" fall into the category of "topics normally discussed
at an IETF meeting." Again, this is being worked on.

Ole