Re: Legality of IETF meetings in PRC. Was: Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-10-09 16:21:58
On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 07:04:43PM +0200, Patrick Suger wrote:

I never thought it could be understood differently: anything different would
be rude for ISOC. So, what you personnalité want is to be sure that whatever
off topic you may want to discuss it will be permitted by the local law?
This sounds like invading foreign countries and saying, "hey! guys, I am the
IETF, I am your law now.". In fact you may genuinely think "youcann" ...

I don't think anyone is actually saying this.  What folks are in fact
saying is that out of _respect_ of Chinese local law, which apparently
makes illegal many things which normally would be discussed at IETF
metings, maybe it wouldn't be a good idea to hold an IETF meeting in
China.  The counterargument seems to be, naaah, don't worry, even
though there is a contract that says these sorts of things aren't
allowed, and if they happen a hotel employee can shut down the entire
meeting --- they won't be enforced and don't worry your pretty little
heads about such things.

So if China wants to make various things illegal to discuss, that's
fine.  We should respect that.  It doesn't mean that we should hold an
IETF meeting there, though.

                                                - Ted