Re: Fix the Friday attendance bug: make the technical plenary the last IETF session, like it was before

2009-11-10 13:04:19
John,

You'd like to make the meeting shorter. Obviously, other things being equal, it'd be great -- it'd be easier not to miss sessions, and it'd be fewer days of travel. I don't have a plan of what 30 track-hours (~20 WG sessions) to slash or how to expand hotels to have higher concurrency. Realistically, I don't expect that the Friday creep can be reversed, but it'd be great.

Meeting duration is not what I am proposing to change one way or the other. Personally, I'm OK with it ending either day, as long as everyone knows what day it is.

Currently we have a fuzzy end and bad WG slots during it. We can fix this by moving the technical plenary to the end of the IETF meeting, where it was before. My guess is it's easiest to make the end at about the same time as now. If it can be Thursday night, fantastic, but the problem I would like to see addressed is not duration, but the damaged goods at the end of the schedule. And, unlike the duration, which is a complicated balancing act, making the end sharp is straightforward.

If we have WG meetings on Friday, technical plenary should be Friday afternoon. If Friday is not good enough for technical plenary, it's not good enough for WGs.

[If you're right about the duration being unbearable, one outcome might be low attendance of the technical plenary. That would cost us one poorly attended technical plenary and would put to rest the idea that Friday is a normal day. A poorly attended technical plenary would cost us roughly triple the damage we get from poorly attended WGs on Friday and would thus be recouped within a year.]

-- Stas

--
Stanislav Shalunov
BitTorrent Inc