Re: Fix the Friday attendance bug: make the technical plenary the last IETF session, like it was before

2009-11-11 00:59:02
The IETF meetings have evolved over time. There are now more
activities on Sunday than there used to be. There used to be an
opening plenary on Monday. We used to have WG sessions in the evening
after dinner. There used to be one long plenary on Wednesday evening,
starting at 7:30 PM. When we split the plenary into two, we initially
flip-flopped the two plenaries between Wednesday and Thursday from one
meeting to the next. We used to have more one-hour meetings than we
have now (or at least it seems that way).

My point is that nothing is set in stone, and the meetings can and
should evolve over time to meet the changing needs of the IETF.

Personally, I would like to see more one-hour sessions than we have
now - that would force presentations and discussions to be shorter and
more focused. And only allow one WG session per meeting. As has been
noted elsewhere, work tends to expand to fill the time alloted to it.
Perhaps this will allow us to get back to a model where most people
can plan to fly home on Friday, and Friday will be reserved for
specific activities, such as the RRG and WGs that specifically want
more time and are willing to meet on Friday, so that people can plan
their travel well in advance to be able to take advantage of
discounted fares.

Cheers,
Andy