Re: I-D ACTION:draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis-10.txt

2009-11-17 16:48:27

--On Wednesday, November 18, 2009 06:09 +0900 Dave CROCKER
<dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net> wrote:

approving bodies). This is why we have discussed all the
changes. I do  not see a lot of other options than the
compromise position if  completing 3932bis and the rest of
the system of changes is the goal.

In a private exchange that Russ was conducting over the last
few weeks, I suggested a mediation model, with the IAB
reviewing the RFC Editor's decision, but only authorized to
make a recommendation, rather than mandating the change.   He
reported that others he was talking with insisted on the
current "arbitration" model that mandates change.

Dave,

While I agree with you in principle, I suggest that the current
text is reasonable, if only because the IAB always has the right
to say to the RFC Editor (either ISE or RSE) "do what we tell
you or you will be fired".   I would expect the IAB to exercise
that particular authority only after everything else has failed
and it is clear to almost everyone that things are out of
control, but that is not a question for 3932bis.    As the text
now reads, the IAB can be asked to conduct a review, but can
decline to do so (consistent with RFC 4846 and nothing new).
And, if the IAB conducts such a review, it can instruct the RFC
Editor has to how to proceed, but can also decide to not do that
and simply provide advice (the latter is, again, consistent with
4846).

I wish that that IESG (or some few of its members; I don't know)
were not insisting on even that much, but there seem to be
nothing that can be done about it without the loss of much more
time (remember that Independent Submission publications have
been blocked for many months by the side-effects of this
situation). But, in its present form, it seems relatively
harmless in practice and it would be good to get on with this
and unlock the Independent Stream publications.

Just my opinion, of course.

    john