Re: Question about draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis-12

2009-11-18 10:54:04
If we get to the point where the IESG, the RFC Editor, and the IAB
can't among them work out a sensible compromise (because common sense
has failed), then we have much bigger problems than getting things
published on the Independent Submissions track.

+1

We're software and network guys (and gals, of course) which means that
we delight in identifying and dealing with edge cases to try and cover
every possibility.  In human affairs, though, no matter how many cases
you try to anticipate, down at the bottom of the list of alternatives
you always end with

    else die();

If we get anywhere near that point, I see little reason to think that
the parties involved, who would by then have been arguing for months
if not years, would be inclined to follow any procedure at all.  For
better or worse, the IETF only works because the people involved are
more or less reasonable, and nothing we could write down would change
that.

R's,
John

PS: Note that this principle applies to any process we might design,
not just this one.