Re: Question about draft-housley-iesg-rfc3932bis-12

2009-11-18 11:02:13
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:54:35PM +1300, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Since we're (presumably) trying to write rules that will
work when common sense has failed, it seems prudent to have
a clear path for disputes of an unknown nature.

I get the sentiment, and I think it comes from a noble impulse, but I
think it's a temptation that should be avoided.

Agreed.

If we get to the point where the IESG, the RFC Editor, and the IAB
can't among them work out a sensible compromise (because common sense
has failed), then we have much bigger problems than getting things
published on the Independent Submissions track.

Maybe I watched too much _Brazil_ on the weekend, but this all seems
to me to be the sort of arrangement that can only lead to harm.  Given
the number of iterations the draft has been through, and the volume of
mail it has attracted, I expect the current form is likely as close to
good as it will get (since we still have a fail safe: the IAB can put
a pox on all the houses).  But I don't believe solving a problem we
don't actually have is a good idea.

Exactly my thinking on the matter.

                                Ned