RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

2009-11-18 21:02:39

On October 8, the IESG approved the registration of application/3gpp- ims+xml Media Type. On Nov 2, RIM filed an IPR disclosure related to this at

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1219/

The associated patent, filed Oct 2008, is at

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Mk7GAAAAEBAJ

and the related draft is

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bakker-sipping-3gpp-ims-xml-body-handling

I will note John-Luc Bakker from RIM is an author of both the patent and and the draft. The draft has been widely discussed at IETF with no mention of IPR before this. As an IESG member, I was not aware of this IPR at the time the approval was made and I do not believe any other IESG members were aware of it. I do believe the discussion would have been different had the IESG been aware of this IPR.

If anyone thinks this is, ah, inappropriate, I would recommend they appeal the IESG decision to approve this. (see section 6.5 of RFC 2026 for how this works). An IETF LC on this in the future would allow the community to make an decision that was informed of the IPR.

Cullen