Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPR rules)

2009-11-18 21:13:47
How about the IESG simply rescinds its decision in this week's
meeting? I don't see any need for an appeal; if there's a
prima facie violation of the disclosure rules, it's just a
management item. Much less bother than an appeal.

Of course, the rescission would be subject to appeal, but
that's another story.

   Brian

On 2009-11-19 15:02, Cullen Jennings wrote:

On October 8, the IESG approved the registration of
application/3gpp-ims+xml Media Type.  On Nov 2, RIM filed an IPR
disclosure related to this at

https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/1219/

The associated patent, filed Oct 2008, is at

http://www.google.com/patents?id=Mk7GAAAAEBAJ

and the related draft is

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bakker-sipping-3gpp-ims-xml-body-handling

I will note John-Luc Bakker from RIM is an author of both the patent
and  and the draft. The draft has been widely discussed at IETF with no
mention of IPR before this. As an IESG member, I was not aware of this
IPR at the time the approval was made and I do not believe any other
IESG members were aware of it. I do believe the discussion would have
been different had the IESG been aware of this IPR.

If anyone thinks this is, ah, inappropriate, I would recommend they
appeal the IESG decision to approve this. (see section 6.5 of RFC 2026
for how this works).  An IETF LC on this in the future would allow the
community to make an decision that was informed of the IPR.

Cullen