RE: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPRrules)

2009-11-19 18:47:23
Dear all,

With regard to the recent discussion regarding RIM's recent IPR
disclosures, I understand the community's concerns regarding the
timeliness of the disclosure.  As employees of companies we are bound by
confidentiality obligations and, in addition, cannot always control our
company's internal processes.  The community's concerns have been
brought to the attention of my employer and they are in the process of
evaluating the concerns.  My company has asked for your patience while
they take the time to evaluate the concerns and determine if there is an
appropriate course of action in this matter to alleviate the concerns of
the community.

Your understanding is appreciated.

Kind regards,

        John-Luc

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2009 12:40 PM
To: John C Klensin
Cc: Cullen Jennings; IETF-Discussion list
Subject: Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores
IETF IPRrules)

FWIW, I agree with Brian.  Pulling this (waiting until the IESG
approves and only then filing the disclosure) on a media type
registration seems particularly egregious but is, in any event,
exactly the type of situation the IPR rules are intended to
prevent.  Like him, I believe that the IESG can recind its
action on this basis without having to go through the procedural
clutter of an appeal.  In addition, if an appeal were really
necessary, nothing prevents one or more of the IESG members who
believe that they would have acted differently had the
disclosure occurred on a timely basis from filing it.

+1

I'll also note that nothing prevents then from registrering this in the
media
type vnd. tree.

                                Ned

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.