Re: Last Call: draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns (Multicast DNS) to Informational RFC

2009-11-23 12:07:33
On 11/23/09 6:49 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
On Mon Nov 23 00:17:45 2009, Lawrence Conroy wrote:

Having an Informational RFC to describe these protocols or file
formats is useful.
If nothing else, it tells you what the heck is going on down the wire.

Right, this much I agree with. And if this was an isolated protocol, I
would not be concerned with it at all - it is, as you imply, what
Informational is *for* - well, modulo the marketing, anyway.

But there are, as I say, a number of standards-track protocols both in
the IETF and other SDOs which depend on these two documents, just as was
the case a year ago:

http://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=49&gid=0&k1=933&k2=44223&tid=1244548867

As it happens, the IETF documents haven't advanced - and I wonder if
that's in part because mDNS and DNS-SD haven't been made standards-track.

I'm not arguing against the protocol's existence, and not against its
documentation. I'm arguing that we should take the time to document it
clearly, and ensure that it can be easily implemented in an
interoperable manner from that documentation, and - potentially - make a
handful of compatible changes where appropriate.

Burying it in a WG to try (and fail) to turn this into an IETF
standards-track
document is not helpful. I fear that someone will go postal if we do
Zeroconf again.
There has been Sooooo much history that it is simply not worth
repeating the pain.
(I seem to recall discussions on this starting out @IETF-41 in LA,
 since which time it's in very wide use "out there" :).

So you're primary argument against this not being made a standards track
document is that it's an awful lot of work, and that it's bound to fail
anyway.

Well, I can't deny that it *is* a substantial amount of work, but given
that this protocol is, as you point out, deployed in the wild, I'm not
really sure this is a problem, and arguing the IETF shouldn't put
documents on the standards track, with a working group, because it's a
lot of work and might fail to produce a useful result does - to me,
anyway - sound my irony alarm full blast. Isn't this what the IETF is
*for*?

So I reiterate - I see no reason not to charter a working group to
revise this specification (and dns-sd), and I would welcome such a group
being chartered such that it cannot make any incompatible changes to the
protocol.

There are two separate actions that could be taken here:

a. Publish draft-cheshire-dnsext-multicastdns as an Informational RFC
(call it "mDNS 1.0" if that makes people happy).

b. Charter a WG to complete work on a standards-track protocol for the
same or similar functionality (call it "mDNS 1.1").

Are you in favor of a-and-b, or b-only?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre