Re: RIM patents using a mime body in a message (and ignores IETF IPRrules)

2009-11-27 11:59:53

Alexey Melnikov wrote:
John-Luc, I would like to understand if RIM's recent IPR disclosures affect general use of application/3gpp-ims+xml, or only its specific use as described in draft-bakker-sipping-3gpp-ims-xml-body-handling.

Thank you,
Alexey

P.S. I understand that my question might be naive or stupid, but I have no doubts people will tell me if it is.

Alexey,

As a non-lawyer, I think your question is quite reasonable. However my small range of experience with attorneys causes me to think that, first, we aren't likely to get an answer that is sufficiently helpful, and two, that there is a different line in inquiry to pursue that might be much more useful to the community.

There is some history of having organization's grant broad usage rights to the community, as part of having their technology made an IETF standard. DKIM is the latest example that, in my own experience:

   <https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/423/>

This suggests that a productive line of inquiry to RIM is whether they would be willing to make a similar licensing offer.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking