Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-sink-arpa (The Eternal Non-Existence of SINK.ARPA (and other stories)) to BCP

2009-12-22 06:34:11
Hi Olafur,
At 21:22 21-12-2009, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:
Correction the message should have been:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg59761.html

The changes that Ted Hardie asked for does not address my concern as my comment was about the example in Section 3:

  "Installing an MX record whose RDATA includes SINK.ARPA in the
   EXCHANGE field ([RFC1034]) should cause compliant MTAs to make
   no connection: SINK.ARPA does not exist, and A and AAAA records
   should not be used when an MX record is present."

I am aware of the operational angle and that the above has been on the SMTP shopping list for some time. I am not sure whether it solves the problem instead of the symptom. I won't suggest an informative reference to RFC 1882. :-)

If SMTP is to be the topical example, you may wish to get the draft reviewed by a mail-related working group. The shortest path would be to drop the first example.

This draft requires IAB review and approval. The following paragraph may require some scrutiny:

     "INVALID is poorly characterised from a DNS perspective in
      [RFC2606]; that is, the specification that INVALID does not exist
      as a Top Level Domain (TLD) is imprecise given the various uses of
      the term TLD in policy forums;"

Section 5.1 is quite a change compared to what is in Section 2.1 of RFC 3172. The existing text says:

  'The "arpa" sub-domains are used for those protocol object sets
   defined as part of the Internet Standards Process [4], and are
   recommended to be managed as infrastructure protocol objects.'

This proposal turns it into a registry of ARPA Reserved Names where the registration procedure is "IETF Standards Action and IAB approval". Unless I missed something, there is a lack of clarity about what "arpa" sub-domains will be used for in future.

Regards,
-sm