Re: Last Call: draft-jabley-sink-arpa (The Eternal Non-Existence of SINK.ARPA (and other stories)) to BCP

2009-12-27 13:06:12
Joe Abley writes:
On 2009-12-25, at 06:02, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
What is the actual difference between the proposed sink.arpa and the existing .invalid?

(a) Our idea when we chose that name was to try and make the policy environment within which the (non-) assignment rule was to be instituted clear. The administration of ARPA is fairly clearly defined, and lies fairly clearly within the policy control of the IETF and the IAB. The administration of the root zone has a far greater audience of participation, and is hence more likely to be subject to future change. Naming the (non-existent) name under ARPA avoided this potential headache.

I don't get it. Are you saying that you think it's possible that someone will come along and overturn RFC 2606, and that that someone wouldn't overturn any .arpa-related rules?

(b) SINK.ARPA is a hostname whereas INVALID is not,

This is a strawman; every subdomain of .invalid, so 2606 provides something like 36^254 invalid hostnames.

Arnt