Re: Announcement of the new Trust Legal Provisions (TLP 4.0)

2009-12-28 22:55:50
On 2009-12-29 16:02, Sam Hartman wrote:
"Julian" == Julian Reschke <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
writes:

    Julian> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
    >> ...  This message is to announce that the IETF Trustees have
    >> adopted on a new version of the Trust Legal Provisions (TLP), to
    >> be effective 28 December, 2009. The Grace period for
    >> old-boilerplate will begin on that date, and last through 1
    >> February, 2010.  ...

    Julian> So, unless xml2rfc gets updated in time, people using that
    Julian> tool won't be able to submit Internet Drafts after February
    Julian> 1 without additional post-processing? Why the early cut-over
    Julian> date, compared to the last change (which had a 2+ month
    Julian> transition period)????

Wait, I had assumed that the grace period had been negotiated
with the tools maintainers. If not, the Trustees need to hold
that negotiation and then adjust the grace period accordingly.
I thought we had learned the hard way to do this every time.

(Hence I have with some reluctance added to the cross-posting
of this thread.)

I'd like to take this a step further: why do we need to update our
boiler plate at all?  It's my understanding that the incoming rights
have not been changed at all here; that should and I think does require
a BCP.

The trust is updating what rights they give others outside the IETF
process.  I guess Ic can see why that might affect the boiler plate the
RFC editor uses.  However, I don't understand why I as an internet draft
author should have to join the boiler plate of the month club.  I
thought one reason we set up the inbound vs outbound split was to avoid
exactly this sort of mess.

My understanding, as a bystander, is that we really couldn't achieve
that state of nirvana until the recent batch of related RFCs was out
(5741 through 5745), so that all the streams, and not just the IETF
stream, are covered.

    Brian