Re: Announcement of the new Trust Legal Provisions (TLP 4.0)

2009-12-29 23:09:09
"Julian" == Julian Reschke <julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de>
writes:

    Julian> Marshall Eubanks wrote:
    >> ...  This message is to announce that the IETF Trustees have
    >> adopted on a new version of the Trust Legal Provisions (TLP), to
    >> be effective 28 December, 2009. The Grace period for
    >> old-boilerplate will begin on that date, and last through 1
    >> February, 2010.  ...

    Julian> So, unless xml2rfc gets updated in time, people using that
    Julian> tool won't be able to submit Internet Drafts after February
    Julian> 1 without additional post-processing? Why the early cut-over
    Julian> date, compared to the last change (which had a 2+ month
    Julian> transition period)????

I'd like to take this a step further: why do we need to update our
boiler plate at all?  It's my understanding that the incoming rights
have not been changed at all here; that should and I think does require
a BCP.

The trust is updating what rights they give others outside the IETF
process.  I guess Ic can see why that might affect the boiler plate the
RFC editor uses.  However, I don't understand why I as an internet draft
author should have to join the boiler plate of the month club.  I
thought one reason we set up the inbound vs outbound split was to avoid
exactly this sort of mess.

+1

                                Ned