Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

2010-01-21 19:31:15
Hi Paul,

At 6:27 AM +0530 1/22/10, Abhishek Verma wrote:
I spoke to several people offline and i couldnt get any good answers.

I suspect that you got many good answers, maybe all different. The fact that
many people have different motivations for submitting > their work to the
IETF instead of {something else} is a feature, not a bug.

And what are those motivations? Wouldnt patenting be the most obvious
thing to do?

The typical response was that most ISPs prefer multiple vendors, and a
patented solution will cause issues as the other vendor will not have
that support. Is this the only  reason?

No.

This may not be the only reason, but is this a valid reason at all?

Thanks,
Abhishek

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium