Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

2010-01-24 08:27:26
On 22/Jan/10 17:47, Scott Brim wrote:
Dean Willis allegedly wrote on 01/22/2010 02:56 EST:
 As somebody who makes a living explaining patents to people who feel
 threatened by an infringement suit, the simple fact is that the IETF is
 appallingly (and blissfully) ignorant of the vast number of patents that
 are filed relating to our RFCs. In general, we do not discover that
 there is critical IPR until well after the  protocol is published, then
 we get mad about it.

I expect them, but I do get mad about patent trolls "bleeding the golden
goose".  The only reason these patents have any value is because the
Internet has value.  When people who contribute nothing to that value
then come along and parasitize it,

Eh... how come the Internet has value? And what is the motivation for maintaining the IETF itself, or the ISOC for that matter? I'm not sure whether good answers should be articulated in terms of business models or just /people/.

This habit of patenting ideas has to stop. The sooner the better.