Re: Motivation to submit an idea in IETF?

2010-01-22 10:48:30
Abhishek Verma allegedly wrote on 01/21/2010 19:57 EST:
Assume that i have a nifty idea on how i can speed up, lets say, a
database exchange in OSPF. My doubt is that why should i submit an
IETF draft describing this, which can later become an RFC, when i can
very well patent this idea? I understand that if i submit this to
IETF, then there will be an RFC and all vendors will come out with
inter-operable implementations. However, if i dont give it to IETF and
rather submit a patent, i can do very well for the vendor that i work
for. All customers using this vendor's boxes will now have access to
patented database exchange in OSPF, which will effectively mean more
business for this vendor.

So, the question is, what is the motivation for somebody to write an
internet-draft when the person can file a patent?

These are not mutually exclusive.  You can patent your idea for various
reasons.  You can write a draft to describe it.

However, if you want others to adopt your idea and interoperate with it
(and network operators really do like equipment that interoperates), you
need to provide reasonable licensing terms, if you require a license at
all.  Trying to make money off patents is not easy unless you are
already making money off your equipment sales.