Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-12 00:27:20
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM, Martin Rex <mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com> wrote:

Btw. printing out I-Ds and RFCs on paper (even 2-up and double sided)
has always been working just fine for me with tools like a2ps.

Just for the record, because I think it's a data point that's relevant
to this discussion: I have never been able to get text-format RFCs to
print properly on either Windows or Mac.  With HTML it always Just
Works with no requirement for tools like anything.

Oh, and it should also be noted that legacy 80-column 66-line ASCII
offers very poor usability on the mobile devices which a large and
increasing number of people, including me, rely on for a high
proportion of information access.  Once again, with HTML there is no
problem.

Because I *enjoy* beating my head against pointy rocks,  -T