Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-12 00:35:56

On Thu, 12 Mar 2010, John Levine wrote:

them.  The output format basically needs to be displayable, printable
and searchable.  There is no reason they have to be at all similar.

And indexable and extractable ... as an example, my wife received
presentation notes in form of a PDF file output from PowerPoint. It
was formatted 6 per page and she need 3 per page to faciliate note
taking. With expert help, the best I could achieve was to select
and save each of 120 page images and then manually gather them
back into a single file which could then be printed. The content
of the official archival format needs to be recoverable in a form
that can be reasonably manipulated for what ever reason.