Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-12 06:51:33
Hi Dave,

why don't you write a draft? Some possible section headlines:

0. Introduction, abstract, boilerplate
1. Lessons learned from
1.1. xml2rfc
1.2. XSF
1.2.1. Why the XYZ doesn't use RFCs
1.3. W3C
2. Tools to be leeched
3. Generating ASCII
3.1. Limitations on the source
4. Turning existing documents into the new format
5. Why HTML and unicode instead of...
5.1. PDF/A
5.2. Microsoft Word
5.3. 72-column ASCII
5.4. 72-column UTF-8
5.5. Undocumented running code
6. Author, references, acknowledgments
7. More boilerplate

And so on.

Personally, I see the sense in moving from ASCII to UTF-8. Unicode has beaten off everything else now, it's a clear and safe choice, and non-ASCII characters are used more and more often. It's not so clear to me that bold/italics/hyperlinks are worth the change, not to mention graphics.

Btw, when you say "the" authoring format, I think you may overestimate IETFers' willingness to march in step.

Arnt