Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-11 12:40:55
On 11.03.2010 18:25, Tim Bray wrote:
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM, Martin Rex<mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com>  wrote:

The existing plaintext ASCII format is easy and univerval.  Any more
fancy document formats come with plenty of problems and infinitesimal
close to zero benefit.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGH!!!!

... which is the only contribution a relatively sane person can make
to this debate at this point in history.

Oh, except for this data point. I have offered, and now repeat the
offer: At the point the IETF decides to improve the
internationalization, usability, accessibility, and longevity of its
specification format by recognizing some of the progress of the last
thirty years, I will commit to offering some cycles to help with tools
and specs, as appropriate.  I'm sure there are others as well.  -Tim

Indeed.

Maybe we'll be making progress on this once there's a new RFC Editor.

Best regards, Julian