Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-11 16:23:38
Tim Bray wrote:

The existing plaintext ASCII format is easy and univerval. ?Any more
fancy document formats come with plenty of problems and infinitesimal
close to zero benefit.

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGH!!!!

Can't you notice fancy tool of you have wrongly translated a
character in "univerval. ?Any" of quoted message, even though
the original message by Martin Rex is pure ASCII.

That is, two consequetive space characters "  " before "Any" is
translated to a space character and something else, which is not
legible to me.

Oh, except for this data point. I have offered, and now repeat the
offer: At the point the IETF decides to improve the
internationalization, usability, accessibility, and longevity of its
specification format by recognizing some of the progress of the last
thirty years, I will commit to offering some cycles to help with tools
and specs, as appropriate.

No thanks.

You have successfully demostrated that, beyond ASCII, even the
simplest character handling is impossible.

Before saying something about long history of confusions and frauds
on  internationalization, please don't convert someone else's pure
ASCII message into something else.

                                                        Masataka Ohta