Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-11 13:12:26
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Julian Reschke
<julian(_dot_)reschke(_at_)gmx(_dot_)de> wrote:
On 11.03.2010 17:54, Jorge Amodio wrote:

Besides your eyes, (only one in some cases), you don't need any extra
junkware to be able to read the RFCs, even better, without eyes you
still can do it since text to speech works very nicely with ASCII.

I'd claim that accessibility for properly authored HTML will actually be
better, for instance the markup can express whether something is prose or
artwork.

HTML uses ASCII as far as I remember, some tags, URIs and URLs may be
impossible to decipher these days but still ASCII (I've to admit that
some folks still use-abuse extended ASCII on HTML pages instead proper
encoding and lang selection).

About text to speech, it only takes a forward or going trough one of
the stupid no context aware robo-translators and you will get your t2s
interface reciting "gee tee ampersand semicolon greater than eich ref
equal lower than bee greater than ..." I guess you get the point.

And I agree with Martin, all other formats add a lot of unnecessary
crap to the documents, embedded fonts, meta-crap data, hooks to track
document changes.

And ASCII is more eco-friendly :-)

Cheers
Jorge