Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-15 15:37:45
On 15.03.2010 21:01, Martin Rex wrote:
Are there numbers available from the RFC Editor about the
use of XML vs nroff for document subissions during the past 1/2 years?

That would be interesting.

So the big plus for the ASCII document version is that an author can
spend his time entirely on the content and doesn't have to worry
as much about formatting as with XML/HTML with arbitrary output
page sizes and font sizes.  And a document format that does not,

Using the XML format separates you more from formatting than plain text. In particular, list formatting, page breaks and indentations become non-issues. Font sizes and page sizes just do not matter at all.

by default, limit the line length to at most 100 chars should
*NOT* be used.  The most preferred line length is ~75 chars per line.
(the printed copy of ISO-C 9899:1990 that I have on my desk uses 96 cpl).

A document format should not have an inherently fixed line width at all. Propose needs to be reflowable, ASCII are/diagrams/code should not. This in itself requires some amount of metadata in the document.

And I firmly believe that the RFC Editor should continue to provide
RFCs preformatted in the original ASCII text format so that they can
still be displayed and used without any kinds of tools in the exiting
environments, and contents of RFC can be copied into source code
comments without any reformatting.

I have no problem with that.

Printing the documents with Microsoft Word is not that difficult.
Load it as .txt, remove two newlines at the beginning of the
title page, select page margins at 1"/1" left&right, font
courier new and font size 10 throughout should work on A4 paper.
Printing them 2-up probably makes sense, and may be easier to your
eye that a free-floating 1-column printout of an HTML-version
of the document.

Open properly formatted HTML in browser, make sure shrink-to-fit is disabled and zoom level is 100%, print.

Best regards, Julian