Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-14 01:59:49
Running code, actual interest to deploy, and an incremental deployment model would probably take this matter further than the annual religious argument :-)

Those who feel the pain should build/select tools and demonstrate that (a) they can produce high-quality PDF/A, (b) that it provides additional value, and (c) that you can start publishing drafts and RFCs that use such a format without causing a problem for those who still read ASCII or use rfcdiff.

No one prevents you from publishing .pdf in addition to .txt as a draft. Just do it. For RFC 5534 we also got a permission to publish the .pdf version alongside .txt so it the process does not prevent you from doing it. (But I run out of time to fine-tune the RFC version of the PDF, so for now at least there is only the text version.)

In short, just go do it.

Jari