Re: Why the normative form of IETF Standards is ASCII

2010-03-13 12:31:58
Masataka Ohta <mohta at necom830 dot hpcl dot titech dot ac dot jp> wrote:

The problem with email is people use html way too much. TXT -> HTML -> TXT does not work reliable. Too many one way transformations.

That's enough to deny the following statement of Doug Ewell;

You could have HTML or PDF-A that uses nothing but ASCII characters.

I don't know how these simple statements (annotated here for reference):

"You could have [1] plain text encoded in UTF-8. You could have [2] HTML or [3] PDF-A that uses nothing but ASCII characters."

came to be twisted by Ohta-san so imaginatively.

[1] Here is an example of plain text encoded in UTF-8:
http://www.ewellic.org/non-ascii.txt

[2] Here is an example of HTML that uses nothing but ASCII characters:
http://www.ewellic.org/ascii-only.html

[3] Here is an example of PDF-A that uses nothing but ASCII characters:
http://www.ewellic.org/ascii-only.pdf

Note that my domain-name provider purposely inserts HTML banner-ad header and/or footer material into all text and HTML documents displayed on this site, as a condition of getting free Web hosting. You should download the first two files instead of displaying them directly.

This demonstrates that you can have plain text encoded in UTF-8, and that you can have HTML and PDF-A that uses nothing but ASCII characters. Q.E.D.

--
Doug Ewell  |  Thornton, Colorado, USA  |  http://www.ewellic.org
RFC 5645, 4645, UTN #14  |  ietf-languages @ http://is.gd/2kf0s ­