Re: Towards consensus on document format

2010-03-16 19:35:29
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 05:05:13PM -0700, David Morris wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
I'd love to see you trapped in a basement after an earthquake with
only a stick trying to remember how to tap S-O-S.

That's easy. Three shorts and three longs, repeat until the water covers
your
shoes.

As was said ... who can remember ....
    three dots,  three dashes *AND* three dots ... pause and repeat

There was a great demonstration on a morning TV show a few months ago
where they had two amateur radio operators racing against two people
using a cell phone to send SMS messages, to see who could send a
message faster from one person to another.  The cell phone texters
could use all of the standard text message abbrevations with the T9
input methods; and they had the advantage of using a cell phone
keyboard with 12 buttons versus the radio operator's paddles.

Guess who won?

The morse code operators, of course, by a wide margin.

Some times the old fashioned technology is the best.   :-)

                                - Ted
                                  (who is still using Emacs, not some
                                  fancy/shmancy WYSIWYG GUI tool to
                                  compose this message.  :-)

P.S.  And I sometimes still use /bin/ed (which yes, will work on a
teleprinter, to edit system files in single user mode; what's wrong
with teleprinters anyway?  I get most of my most productive work done
using an xterm, which is really nothing more than a glass tty....  :-)