RE: Towards consensus on document format

2010-03-17 14:31:40
Jorge Amodio wrote:
Hard to believe but Morse is still in use and required
for certain classes of radio operators.

For good reasons; in difficult conditions, Morse still delivers the
message when the voice has long stopped being recognizable. Morse would
be like ASCII: definitely not the prettiest solution, but if something
still works it would be it.

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
As far as being trapped in a building, any regular pattern
of bangs is going to be picked up and acted on.

OTOH, I would enjoy the added capacity to actually communicate with the
rescue team. Possibly someone would figure out that my banging is Morse
code and find an operator. Optional, but nice.

My $0.02: I would still favor a move towards a better format than ASCII.
No more comments that what has already been said 10 times.

Michel.