Re: Make the Internet uncensorable to intermediate nodes

2010-03-19 21:22:09
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:59, MtFBwU <may(_dot_)4thbwu(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I am an average Internet user from China. Sorry for my bad English.

Actually, it seems fairly good to me.  Anybody who can understand, let
alone come up with, a username like yours, obviously has a pretty good
grasp of it.  :-)

In my opinion, theoretically, we *can* make the Internet uncensorable,

In the large, it already essentially is.  Find one tiny little
pinhole, through which to leak something to somewhere free, and it
cannot be erased from the net as a whole.  (Note that said pinhole
need not be via the net!  Leak it on paper in a bottle, and someone
might find it and post it to the net.)  Anything from reports of
power-embarassing events, to the old goatse pix, are still available
SOMEwhere.

The TL;DR answer is FEC algorithms.

Hmmm, interesting.  I'm not an info-theory wonk, but at first blush,
late on a Friday evening, this sounds plausible, to me.  As Stephane
points out, some of it is already popular.  It sounds like you want to
combine the diverse routing of BitTorrent (and ToR?), with some
steganography ("debris nobody will notice", possibly in non-user
data), and FEC to account for the possibility of some data being
blocked or altered.

What "prior art" research have you done?  What did you find, and why
wasn't it suitable?  What do you see as the already available building
blocks, or concepts to extend?

-Dave

--
Dave Aronson - Have Pun, Will Babble | Work: davearonson.com | /\ ASCII