Re: Make the Internet uncensorable to intermediate nodes

2010-03-24 17:08:19
It is an interesting fact that China has been hacking into US systems
since the 1980s and that Clinton is the first Secretary of State to
have made any form of complaint about the practice.

Meanwhile, the US put out a policy document back in 2001 that
essentially said 'we will bury you in cyberspace'.

Until very recently it was by no means certain what the international
response should be to cyber espionage. Espionage is not warfare, not
is it necessarily damaging to the interests of a country to be spied
on. Reliable exchange of information can lead to stability.

The US does not have grounds to take offense for a practice that it
had previously tolerated for 30 years without complaint. Still less
does the IETF.

As to why the IETF is visiting. I would suggest that it is because the
Chinese government has extended an invitation. The PRC has expressed
concern about the 'dominance' of certain states over information
infrastructures on numerous occasions, including in international
treaties. Hosting a meeting is an affirmative step that the PRC can
take to encourage greater participation.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Dean Willis