Re: Advance travel info for IETF-78 Maastricht

2010-04-06 04:56:05
Phillip,

This is the main change from the US. In the US it is entirely
practical to carry only plastic and no cash at all.

This is mostly right, but maybe not universally true. Imagine my surprise when I walked to a cab at LAX and asked to be taken to the Anaheim hotel. First, I had apparently not read enough 77attendees list to realize that its a LONG way from the airport. Second, the cab refused to take credit cards. I had cash, of course. I was already under the impression that paying cabs with cash is necessary in the US. But it took a big dent to my cash reserves.

Lessons: 1) its useful to be aware of where you are going and what form of transport is appropriate 2) you always need cash, no matter where you go. If its not the cab its the coke machine, train or something else.

Jari