Re: Public musing on the nature of IETF membership and employment status

2010-04-06 14:58:35

On Apr 6, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

On 6 apr 2010, at 18:16, Mark Atwood wrote:

Cisco, IBM, MCI, or Linden Lab are not a "members" of the IETF. No agency of the US government, or of any other government, is a "member" of the IETF. No university, non-profit, PIRG, PAC, or other "concerned citizens group", is a "member" of the IETF.

Only individual people can be "members" of the IETF. And "membership" is mostly defined as "who shows up on the mailing list" and "who shows up at the meetings".

True enough, but that's only one side of the equation. Cisco, IBM, etc, etc as a rule don't send their people to the IETF to support the greater Minneapolis area economy or other alturistic reasons: they want their people to get stuff done at the IETF. As such, an IETF participant's affiliations have relevance, and should be clear to all.

Considering that, it wouldn't be the worst idea to have everyone post mailing list messages from an employee email address. Then again, I don't need that kind of spam exposure on even more email addresses...

And considering the crap that many companies use for email servers, their message-deletion policies and so on, I expect there are a lot of people who wouldn't want that.

Flip side: I could see the IETF requiring all participants use ietf.org email addresses hosted on ietf.org servers with ietf.org- issued authentication/signature certificates, and quite possibly (with some exceptions) restricted delivery to/from non-IETF addresses.

--
Dean