Re: Public musing on the nature of IETF membership and employmentstatus

2010-04-17 14:22:32
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian E Carpenter" <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
To: "Melinda Shore" <shore(_at_)arsc(_dot_)edu>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: Public musing on the nature of IETF membership and employmentstatus

On 2010-04-07 05:57, Melinda Shore wrote:
On Apr 6, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
I thought we didn't have members?  I've always liked to refer to
people doing work here as "participants" for exactly that reason.

Right.

Or "contributors" when they contribute and therefore subject themselves
to our IPR rules.

BTW please look at the paragraph headed "Participation" at
http://www.ietf.org/newcomers.html, which I drafted. Do people
agree with that summary?

no:-(

I think that the information is there but in the wrong order.  Were I new, I
would probably disconnect after the first paragraph; who cares about the
structure (at least at this stage)?

Tom Petch

   Brian