Re: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

2010-04-06 22:05:16

On 4/6/2010 10:59 AM, Henning Schulzrinne wrote:
Avalanche (restart) has its own set of problems - including overwhelming
either the HTTP server, SSP or registrar. (In a draft, we've made
proposals how to address this in some cases, as long as the UA can
detect that it is likely part of an avalanche.) As we've seen from the
SIP overload discussion, you can't rely on the "natural" throttling of
the server to nicely space out requests - the whole thing is much more
likely to collapse in a heap,

FWIW, this is a time-honored topic.

In the mid/late 80's, I believe this problem was referred to as the West Point problem, since all the cadets would turn on their network-connected PCs at exactly 8am. Ungermann-Bass vs. Bridge Communication had fundamentally different network booting models. One worked well under this sort of load. One didn't.

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking