RE: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

2010-04-06 15:08:49

Sure, but vendors have already spent years working the reg-avalanche problem
out for subscribers.
One of my fears with this config framework is it's changing it, without a way
to undo/not-do the change.

-hadriel

From: Henning Schulzrinne [mailto:hgs(_at_)cs(_dot_)columbia(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 1:59 PM
To: Hadriel Kaplan
Subject: Re: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session
Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

Avalanche (restart) has its own set of problems - including overwhelming either
the HTTP server, SSP or registrar. (In a draft, we've made proposals how to
address this in some cases, as long as the UA can detect that it is likely part
of an avalanche.) As we've seen from the SIP overload discussion, you can't
rely on the "natural" throttling of the server to nicely space out requests -
the whole thing is much more likely to collapse in a heap, so that no useful
work gets done. This affects registration, subscription and retrieval more or
less equally.

Henning