RE: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

2010-04-08 13:57:59

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Shockey [mailto:richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 10:34 AM

Lets not forget what this specification was attempting to solve, which has
been the well known boot strap problem with SIP-CUA's we have collectively
ignored since the creation of SIP, especially those that might use (dare I
say it) phone numbers.

I am not forgetting that at all.  That's one of the reasons I find it so
perplexing that a draft which is supposed to make things easy and simple for
"boot strapping", has decided to mandate a nice-to-have feature which adds
complexity and is not required for boot-strapping.

Any discussion of how to improve the specification is useful but the goal
is
the expansion of SIP related services in the market. Gee sort of what we
are
trying to do with the PBX to SSP issues.

Right, and as we learned with PBX to SSP issues in SIP-Connect 1.0, not being
extremely specific and getting it right the first time will hurt you later. ;)

-hadriel