RE: Last Call: draft-lawrence-sipforum-user-agent-config (Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) User Agent Configuration) to Informational RFC

2010-04-08 09:34:32
Lets not forget what this specification was attempting to solve, which has
been the well known boot strap problem with SIP-CUA's we have collectively
ignored since the creation of SIP, especially those that might use (dare I
say it) phone numbers. The model here is to make such things as SIP CUA's as
easy to use as traditional POTS phones.  Plug them in, they work.. at least
now after punching in a small data string into the keypad of a device,
instead of having to manually Config the device using some on board HTTP
app. As the success of some Apple devices testify ( and Skype for that
matter) ..making complex electronics configuration nearly stupid proof
increases the overall market. :-)

This could also expand the market for SIP devices and the for competitive
SIP services by permitting them to be sold at mass market outlets without
being necessarily tied to one SSP, if, yes, they were compliant with the
specification and yes Hadriel you had a branded logo program that insured
compliance.  The SIP Forum is "not there yet" on that kind of testing,
compliance and logo program.

Any discussion of how to improve the specification is useful but the goal is
the expansion of SIP related services in the market. Gee sort of what we are
trying to do with the PBX to SSP issues.