Re: Last Call: Policy Statement on the Day Pass Experiment

2010-05-07 09:23:57

On 5/6/2010 9:51 PM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
I'm conflicted on this one. I agree that three days at IETF meetings
does not a NomCom member make, but I know several people who are very
experienced, but who are self-funding, and I can easily imagine someone
doing a day pass during a trough in their business cycle.

I would be comfortable allowing someone volunteering for the NomCom
membership pool to count ONE IETF attended on a day pass - not more than
that.

This strikes me as a classic case of having the desire to be fair get in the way of being workable.

We need simple rules. Simple rules always have problems at the boundaries. Being fair-minded, we want to handle boundary conditions... fairly. That leads to special-case rules that primarily serve to make things more complicated, while typically not providing fundamental benefit.

Let's start with the simple observation that attending all week, three times, by itself teaches one little of what is essential for doing good work on Nomcom. It imparts no understanding of IETF process, nor insight about the skills needed for performing IETF leadership, nor experience upon which to evaluate those being considered for leadership positions.

Given that, we do not need to wiggle with a rule that primarily serves produce Nomcom volunteers who have LESS of the relevant knowledge...

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking