Re: The IPv6 Transitional Preference Problem

2010-06-20 10:57:04

On Jun 20, 2010, at 10:36 AM, ned+ietf(_at_)mauve(_dot_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

I said that right now
it's extremely ill-advised to ship products that have IPv6 support enabled by
default. This is one of the many reasons for this.

I would argue the opposite; people won't turn it on otherwise, due to lack of
knowledge or negligence. What I would also argue is that the API that opens a
session should try all available address pairs in relatively short order - on
the order of tens of milliseconds between new attempts - keeping in some
scratchpad memory notes on what worked, and trying those first on a subsequent
access to the same name. If IPv4 addresses are what work, so be it.

Happy Eyeballs...