Re: draft-housley-two-maturity-levels-00

2010-06-23 08:32:21
Yoav,
I like this proposal, but there should be a (relatively) easy process to advance from Experimental to Proposed, especially if implementation experience shows no need for bits-on-the-wire changes.

We should be able to say that for a particular experimental RFC there have been this many independent implementation, and they interoperate OK, and only so-and-so clarifications need to be added, and the document is ready for "Proposed".

I think we already have that. There is really no requirement to produce a new draft, for instance. You can reclassify an RFC to a different status (and we do it sometimes). Additional knowledge outside the document about implementations, market acceptance, and lack of problems would easily convince me at least that the document is worthy of PS status.

(Of course, you might end up making an edit in the document anyway if it talked about experiments, and it is very likely most documents would have at least some details to correct.)

Jari