Re: Last Call: draft-daboo-srv-caldav (Use of SRV records for locating CalDAV and CardDAV services) to Proposed Standard

2010-06-25 12:44:00
I strongly disagree with the use of NAPTR. It has a ridiculous amount of
power and mechanism. SRV is well supported in servers, NAPTR is not.

The process of standards making is to eliminate unnecessary flexibility. In
this case the configuration of the caldav Web host is not relevant to the
client. Therefore those details should not be exposed to the client. This is
a security issue but also an encapsulation issue.

Exposing unnecessary details to clients is an invitation to engage in the
equivalent of undocumented API calls. I do not want to expose that
information to clients because I do not want them to start relying on it.

Rather, I suggest that we generalize the process and adopt the convention
that the URL be formed from the SRV prefix. That is we have one registry for
prefixes and apply them to SRV and URI formation.

I would also suggest adding in a version number so that it is possible to
run two versions of the protocol using different back ends.

Since we are using SRV we will have two DNS names involved

1) The DNS name of the protocol
2) The DNS name of the host on which the service is provided

The DNS name of the host need not be the only DNS name that the host
responds to. Ergo, there is no actual need to use the .wellknown hack in
this particular case. We can insist that the DNS name be reserved for
forwarding web services.

As for the need for 'redirect' this should not affect the protocol on the
wire. Rather the Web server should perform any internal mapping.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Cullen Jennings <fluffy(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>